Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dress to Impress or Dress for Success??


Making the switch from the classroom to the office will introduce you to many changes--one in particular that is a bold necessity is the dress code. Will the office be professional? Business casual? Casual Fridays? Casual all the time?

And what about the interview? Do you have to dress differently for that?

It is so true that what you wear makes a big impact on an employer/boss. It can show your employer that you are professional and ready to take on the role in their office. If your feeling appropriate and comfortable in your clothes, it can give you more confidence and it shows that you are put together and have prepared yourself for the business enviornment.

As a college student beginning my journey through interviews and internships--getting my foot in the professional office atmosphere door, if you will--I've started being more conscious about my wardrobe. Instead of buying clothes thinking, "Oh that'd look really cute out at the bar on a Friday night!" Now I think to myself, "Oh that'd be perfect to wear into the office for my internship!"

Some people hate having to dress professionally and say they could never have a job that would require that everyday. Honestly--I think it's kind of nice. It's a whole new world that will seem strange at first but will eventually become natural. It can actually be kind of fun to shop for interview and business attire. So what exactly am I looking to buy for this new "professional atmosphere"?!


Interview-
To an interview, you want to wear a solid, conservative suit with a coordinated blouse and moderate shoes. Make sure to have limited jewelry, a neat/professional hairstyle, natural makeup and manicured nails. I have found that New York & Company always has great suits and accessories for an interview. They have great prices--you can always find a good sale!--and they have a wide selection of lengths and sizes for the suits. Another money saver I love is to give yourself a manicure instead of going to a salon! I buy a conservative, mature color and paint my own nails before an interview--it saves money, makes me feel good and it shows the employer that I took that extra effort to impress them.

Business Casual-
Going into the office everyday dressed for a business casual setting, it's important to be comfortable and appropriate. Nice dress pants, conservative skirts, classy tops or professional dresses are all great options for your work day. That said--where is the best place to go to find this selection?


It can get expensive to have to re-build your closet to satisfy the requirements of the business world. You are just now graduating and now you have to spend the little money you have on professional suits and work clothes? Yeah--you do. But if you look in the right places, you can find great work clothes for great prices!

No comments:

Post a Comment